Saturday, October 22, 2011

Family Project

Hey family! Austin and I have decided that we really enjoy doing projects together and actually finish them. Our most recent project was the rocking chair that is in our boys room. I got inspired by Sereen's chair which is so adorable by the way. So here is what it looked liked before we reupholstered it.
Austin's job was to stain the whole chair a dark cherry color that took at least 3 coats and about a week and a half because when he originally started a rain storm came and we had to cover it with tarp for a week. The cooler weather made it take forever to fully dry but he eventually finished it.
Then my job was to pick the new material and sew a new cover. We also wanted to add some padding to the foam because it was so old that we could feel the wires when we sat down. Adding padding made it a lot more difficult to use the original fabric as a pattern, so that will explain why the back pad looks a little off. I also wanted to sew lines down the middle of the pad but my sewing machine is not that heavy duty and Austin said it looked fine. What do you think?
Finished Product
I am so glad we chose this color because to our surprise it matched the crib perfectly! Our next project will be to stain the book case this same color. Then we will have a matching set that didn't cost 200+.

3 comments:

  1. Holy COW!!! That looks FANTASTIC! I love that fabric choice. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally motivating me to finally do this to my rocking chair! No joke! Ours is denim fabric and is OLD. Yuck! Maybe I should get on that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so great! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete