Friday, February 20, 2015

February Random Activities

The Prosper Library has story time every Thursday that we like to attend. On the third Thursday of the month the group meets somewhere around town for a mini field trip. This last one we went to was at the Prosper Museum. I didn't even know Prosper had a museum. It was located in the City Hall next to the Junior High. Story time was about what Prosper was like 100 years ago. Back then, Prosper and the surrounding areas were cotton fields. Some women dressed up in old fashion clothes and did a little presentation where we learned how the cotton was grown, harvested, and made into clothes. Each child got to take home their own cotton flower. When Andrew and Emeri got home they dug through their cotton and found the seeds. We were told we could plant the seeds and grow our very own cotton.

So using their home made Valentine's Day pots from Home Depot, they planted their cotton seeds. 
Our neighbor friends are some pretty sweet boys. We have two sets of brothers on the same street as us, one family as Luke and Lain, and the other has Lucas and Logan. Crazy right? Well both their mothers are Kellie so that just makes it that much cooler. Anyways, Lain was out playing with his long board and wanted to show Andrew how to ride it laying down on his belly. It was a sweet interaction and a new and exciting experience for Andrew. We are lucky to have such good neighbors.
Tammy heard from the girls at her shop that the McKinney High school was performing the play Les Miserable. It apparently was the talk of the town because of how well the students got into character and could sing. So, all of us girls headed out to the school to see for ourselves. WOW rumors were TRUE! It was an outstanding performance. After every song we just looked at each other with wide eyes and dropped jaws. The two students who played the roles of the nasty innkeepers were our favorites by far. They nailed their roles and were so much fun to watch. We had an enjoyable time watching the play and were very impressed with the students' vocals.
A treat for the mailman! Lately Andrew has been obsessed with getting the mail from our mail box every single day. During random times of the day Andrew will ask if he can "go get the mail" and before I can answer he is half way to the mail box. He loves it, I don't know why, but he does. So one day, we see the mail man coming and I ask the boys to help me gather some goodies up (there is not much in our house these days) to give to him to say thank you. They went crazy and were so excited to serve. After we collected as much as we could, the boys dropped the baggie into the mailbox and waited. They were pleased when the mailman smiled and said thank you. It was a fun experience to share with them.
Throughout the weeks, I try to look for things that will help the boys practice their hand writing without them know they are actually practicing. lol I know bad mommy. Anyways, I was cleaning up the tea cups and plates when it hit me! YEAH! Menus! So I immediately stopped cleaning and sat my big fat rear on the tiny blue chair up to the tiny tea party table. I then called to the kids and asked if I could meet the chefs of this fine restaurant and if I could get a menu? It was history from there. Both boys ran and got paper and started writing the sounds of the foods they wanted to serve me. Once they had something written down they would grab it from the food box and serve it to me. This fun little game lasted a half an hour with a continued version without me among themselves. NAIL IT! I was so impressed with how much they were writing and role playing that I decided (not because I didn't want to cook or clean) we would go out as a family that night to a sit down restaurant. That was the cherry on top. The boys brought their own menus to show to the waitress and compared them to the ones at the restaurant. IT WAS SUCH A FUN TIME! I am glad that I decided to stop cleaning.
We never get dessert at the restaurants we go to, but since this was such a special occasion we decided to go out with a bang. This giant cookie of goodness was the lucky winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment