Friday, February 13, 2015

Painting the Cabinets

Austin and I finally decided to paint our cabinets this month. The whole reason this started was because I felt like the kitchen and family room were so dark. I wanted to change the cabinets anyways, so turning them into a lighter shade of cream I thought would definitely brighten up the place. Plus, the bold orange cabinets made the counter tops look like mustard and pepper had just been thrown up. Needless to say I thought they were ugly and I needed light in that main living space. Therefore, something had to change and we decided on the cabinets since the counter tops are granite. 
The cabinets turned out to be more work then we thought; just like any house project. Austin did most of the work with help from Tammy and my father. We are very pleased with the finished look and hope it will last with 4 kids running all around. lol  The picture with Austin was taken while he was taking the doors off of the cabinets. He didn't realize how much work those would take getting back on. Matching them back up exactly was quite the process. 
Here are more pictures of the kitchen before we started. See how the back splash clashes horribly with the counter tops? The only solution was to change the color of the cabinets.
This picture depicts exactly the attitude we had compared to Tammy's when she came to help out. On Saturday we asked if she wanted to help us paint and she agreed. When we picked her up we said we needed to go get some off white paint. She then said, "so have you grabbed a bunch of samples and tried didn't colors of that off white?" Not wanting to admit we hadn't we told we didn't care about the exact type of off white shade. She was shocked. We then went straight to Home Depot and spent an hour and a half PICKING OUT COLOR SAMPLES! haha Once Tammy and I had our purses full of them we headed home to test the colors against our counter tops and back splash. To our great surprise none of the cream colors we originally planned on using looked good at all. The dark brown sample Tammy picked out that matched spots in our counter top looked the best. I was sad because I wanted to make the kitchen brighter but I couldn't say no to it, it by far looked the best. So, this picture is the perfect depiction of our "naive and relaxed" attitudes verses Tammy's "cheery analytic" one. HAHA We are so grateful we listened to her and took the time to get some samples. Thank you Tammy!
Here is Tammy painting over the primer with our first coat of color! YAY!!!
Ta-Da!!!! The finished product! Doesn't this color look so much better!? I love it. I still don't like the counter tops, and never will, but at least I can stand being in my kitchen now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment